National Chocolate Pudding Day
Today’s Pudding Trivia
- Originally a British dish, this pudding could be made on very short notice.
- Ingredients vary, but it was basically a sweetened porridge made from flour, tapioca or oatmeal and milk. The term originated in the late 16th century.
- In Colonial America cornmeal was cheaper and more readily available, so here, Hasty Pudding was a cornmeal mush (cornmeal added to boiling water and cooked) with molasses, honey, brown sugar or maple syrup and milk.
- There are both savory and dessert versions of this dish.
- An example of a savory version would be a meat pudding.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1797 Charles Newbold patented the first cast-iron plow. Farmers had doubts about the effect of the iron on the soil.
1848 The first pure food laws were enacted in the U.S.
1870 The original wooden boardwalk in…
View original post 193 altre parole